Sunday, September 13, 2009

Watching Movies with Mom

Today I did something I never thought I'd do in college. I watched a movie with my mom. Yes, she is still in Las Vegas and I am still in Denver, but the wonders of technology (really just phones) allowed us to watch an almost 3 hour movie "together." It all came about because in my Hazard Mitigation & Vulnerability Assessment class we were given an assignment to view a disaster movie and see if it perpetuates myths about disasters along with some other questions. Well, my mother happens to be the biggest disaster movie fan I know, so when I told her about the assignment, she immediately started suggesting movies for me to watch. When I settled on The Towering Inferno, an epic made in 1974, she came up with the idea of us watching it together. While I was a bit skeptical at first, actually watching it and trying to get each of our DVDs at the same spot at the same time was a lot of fun! It is definitely the most ridiculous thing I've done in a while, but it was a lot of fun and not as crazy as it might sound. So what if I spent three straight hours on the phone with my mom today...it was fun, and productive! All in the name of school :)

1 comment:

  1. My mom is in heaven. If she was here, we could have done that. We were always on the phone talking about what we were watching. Very nice that you and your mom are doing that.

    ReplyDelete