Saturday, May 30, 2009

Socially Responsible Businesses



You've probably seen the above commercial before. I'm still trying to make my way to an actual retailer in NJ to give these shoes a try before I purchase them, but I've been incredibly interested in socially responsible businesses these days.



I'm also doing work for Nomi Network -- a non-profit that works to use the marketplace to combat sexual slavery in Cambodia by providing women there with jobs in the manufacturing of fashion goods. What a joy it is to work for a company that does good.

I'm interested in doing more research on socially responsible businesses but I don't really know where to start. Do any of you know any companies worth checking out?

I don't know what my research will culminate in right now, but if you have any ideas I'm interested in hearing from you. I'm considering blogging about it but I want it to be a platform where consumers can learn about and support these companies. Without the AT&T commercial, I probably wouldn't have ever known about TOMS shoes. And without my connection to Nomi Network founder, I probably wouldn't have known what I can do about trafficking in Cambodia.

Charities exist, yes this is true. But I am not in the position to donate money. However if I need a pair of shoes, why not get a pair while giving one too?

I don't know right now I'm just kind of mulling this over in my mind. I'm really interested in your opinions though. Even if it's a company name or a website to check out. Any direction for my research is good too!

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment